This article describes the process of updating a Free XenServer license at renewal time. The procedure leverages XenCenter and assumes an internet connection from the XenCenter console to the activation server.
Since April 2009, Citrix started offering a free edition of XenServer with an annual renewal requirement. As with the initial free license, renewing a Free XenServer license requires activation of the affected XenServer hosts.
In return for providing the Free XenServer product to customers, Citrix asks for annual re-activation for two reasons:
To renew a Free XenServer license, complete the following procedure:
1. Open XenCenter.
2. If you have XenServer licenses expiring within 30 days, the License Manager automatically open. If it does not, open it from the XenCenter menu by selecting Tools > License Manager.
3. XenServer hosts requiring renewal licenses have a check box preceding the host name, and indicate the number of days remaining until license expiration.
4. Press Select All to update all hosts.
5. Press Activate to start the activation process.
6. Enter the requested information, and press Request Activation. The license file is emailed, within 10 minutes, to the email address you supply.
7. Upon receipt of the license file email, apply the license to each host by opening the XenCenter console and selecting the option Tools > License Manager.
XenServer 6.2 License FAQ, CTX137838 – XenServer 6.2.0 Licensing FAQ
When Free XenServer license expires, all the running Virtual Machines continue to execute without interruption or loss of functionality. Hosts with expired licenses cannot start new Virtual Machines, and when restarted with an expired license then you cannot auto-start any Virtual Machines marked for auto-start.
For more information, contact Customer Service.